Obituary of Lewis Linebarger
DEATH OF A PATRIARCH - ANDREW LINEBARGER June 8, 1815 and April 28, 1907 - a period of 91 years, 10 months and 20 days, mark the earthly career of Andrew Linebarger. He was the youngest son of John and Mary Linebarger. His brothers were Lewis, George, Henry, John and his sisters were Louvina, Nancy and Mary. These have all been gone several years to the Promised Land, and Andrew, familiarly called "Uncle Andy," has gone to be with them, for he has often expressed himself in his church that he would like to see inside of Heaven. God has taken him there. At the age of five his father and family moved from Lincoln County, North Carolina - his birthplace - to Indiana in 1820, and lived near Indianapolis until 1822, when they came to Parke County. In his 21st year, he was married to Elizabeth Burton, and to this union were born five sons and one daughter - George, Mary Ann, William, David, Levi, and Jackson. The wife and mother died in 1846, and two years ago last March, Mary Ann was called by the Angel of Death. In 1847 he married Mary Warner, and to this union were born five sons and five daughters - Lewis, Joel, Samuel, Jacob, Joseph, Henry, Elizabeth, Ida, Ludah, Emma and Alice. Joseph Henry died at the age of five years. In 1890 "Aunt Polly," the wife and mother entered the Spirit Land. Of the surviving fourteen children, all were present at his death and funeral, with the exception of Ludah, who is ill at her home in Indianapolis. At the age of thirteen he consecrated his life to God and from that time to this, a period of 79 years, he has lived a very devoted and happy Christian life. His father's home was the stopping place of the earliest missionaries of the church, and before a church was built, his house was the house of worship for the community. Andrew took up his father's work. He has always been a great support to the church and its work. The early circuit riders and, later, pastors have often spoken of the great helpfulness and hospitality of this Christian home. The church in which his funeral service was held was built largely through his means and it has always been known as Linebarger Chapel. No call of the church was unheeded by him, and while his physical condition permitted, he was always in attendance at divine worship. No one more thoroughly enjoyed Christian life, and many and many a time the church walls have resounded with his shouts of Hallelujah as the spirit of the Lord filled his soul. While, during the past few years, he has been unable to attend any church service, he always inquired of those who called asking what kind of a meeting they had had and how large the attendance was. He was a great lover of children and anxiously watched the progress of the Sabbath School. At different times the children of the Sunday school have stopped and sung sacred songs for him, and they knew that no one would appreciate it more than he. Father Linebarger was as strong an influence and prominent a figure in community life as in church life. Indeed, we all accord to him the position of central figure in the country about his home. By his integrity and industry he through all the years has won and kept the highest esteem of all he met until his name became a synonym for honesty and unrightness. So thoroughly has his work for good been done among his neighbors and friends that time cannot efface the influence of this well-spent life. There is but one call to one who has lived and died as he - the call to the righteous: "Well done, good and faithful servant; enter through into the joys of the Lord." Father Linebarger is survived by fourteen children, forty-three grandchildren, and one great-great grandchild. Funeral services were held at the Linebarger Chapel, Tuesday afternoon. Rev. Hobbs, the local pastor, had charge, and was assisted by Rev. A. J. Marshall of Howard, Rev. Z. D. Maris of Rockville, Rev. Parsons of Metcalf, Ill., and Josiah Morris of Coloma. Interment in the home cemetery.