punch here to go back to John and Mary Linebarger page
History of Cahokia Township and Clyde from the book, History of Macoupin County, Illinois, Biographical and Pictorial, by Hon. Charles A. Walker, Vol. 1, Chicago, The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1911
Cahokia township constitutes what is known as town 7, range 6 west, and is bounded on the north by Honey Point township, on the west by Gillespie, on the south by Staunton township, and on the east by Montgomery county. It lies in the southeastern portion of the county and the land is rolling prairie, well drained by Cahokia creek and its tributaries. There is also some timber to be found.
Ephraim Powers settled near the southeastern corner of the township about 1828, and in 1830 Thomas Kinder and his family located on section 11. In 1831 Peter B. Karnes and family settled here. Soon afterward others who came were John Kinder, Amos Snook, B.L. Dorsey, John Blevins, Tolton Blevins, Lodwick Jones and Nathan Duncan. All these settlers at once made improvements and developed good farms.
The first birth in the township was that of William S. Karnes, son of Peter B. and Sarah Ann Karnes, whose birth occurred May 30, 1832.
The first death was that of Mrs. Kinder in May, 1832.
The first marriage also occurred in the spring of 1832, the contracting parties being Christopher Kinder and Miss Mary Ann Cook.
The first religious services were held in 1834 at the home of James Caulk, by William Burg, a United Baptist minister. Larkin Craig was also a pioneer minister of this locality.
The United Baptist people erected the first church here about 1840. It was located on section 2, on land belonging to Thomas Kinder. It was built of logs and served as well for school purposes. A man by the name of Arnold was the first teacher here. This building was finally destroyed by fire.
The first schoolhouse was built of logs, on section 10, about the year 1835. The first teachers in this school were Evan Hazzard and John Wilton.
John Blevins built the first blacksmith shop in 1833 and was the first blacksmith in this district.
Eaton & English put up the first grist mill, which was operated by horse power.
The first entires of land were made as follows: John Blevins, eighty acres on section 10, April 22, 1831; Peter Kinder, eighty acres on section 10, May 9, 1831; George A. and John Kinder, the same amount on the same section on that date, while Jacob and William Kinder entered at the same time eighty acres on section 14. Others of the early sttlers were Nancy Snook, Larkin Craig, Nancy Keel, George Bayless, Hugh Rice, William Anderson, William Eickmeyer, E. S. Holme and J M. Rhoads.
The village of Clyde lies on section 3, in the northeastern part of the township and is located on the Indianapolis & St. Louis railroad. Robert J. Hornsby was proprietor of the village and it was surveyed and platted by F. H. Chapman 1n 1854.